Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

At His Feet....

Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence. Colossians 2:20-23.

This verse got me today. I am reading Beth Moore's "Praying God's Word" and she comments on this verse. You see, if man could truly subdue all his fleshly appetites by the pure power of his own determination, he would simply worship his own will. If the Word of God is about anything at all, it is about God's Will rather than our own. Our liberty is paradoxically discovered through the will of God rather than our own. God will never allow us continued success through our pure fleshly determination to "touch not, taste not, handle not". He knows we would rend up worshiping our own wills and methods. Through his might of His Holy Spirit released through the authority of HIs Word, we are empowered to say no to things we should - to our excesses, withholdings, compulsions, and harmful consumptions - and say yes to freedom, moderation, and better health.

So basically, it's all HIM. HE is the only way I can do this. I know this. I know this well, but actually accepting it is where I fall short every single day. I must believe that God will do His work inside me. I must trust and believe it. If he gave me Jackson as a true Blessing in God's perfect Will, then why can't he do this through me? It's just so simple. But it's not.

Do you know that right at this moment I am thinking about bread and butter. I want some bread and butter. Why, at this exact moment does this thought come into my head. Aaaahhhhh.

Father, according to Your Word, I was called to be free. Help me not to use my freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, I should serve others in love. Lord, you know the plans you have for me. You have declared that they are plans to prosper me and not to harm me, plans to give me a hope and a future. Father, I lay at your feet. Please hear my prayers. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment